Question on when the beginner's course will be released for MIE

English - Deutsch - Français - Español
Ahsto

Question on when the beginner's course will be released for MIE

Post by Ahsto » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:26 pm

In the post from the beginning of this year, someone asked when the course would be released for beginners diving into MIE with the aims of learning to speak it. I was just wondering if there were an update to that, since the time of release you gave was around summer or so; and, it's about September right now. What can I say? I really wanna get to my MIE already! :)

Also, I know you guys have been working very hard on this for over ten years (which is very impressive commitment, even if the progress you make seems to be rather slow from an outsider's point of view). I hope you guys post more videos like you did with Schleicher's Fable on Youtube. It's nice to see MIE being used outside of academic papers and so forth but in real life too.

cquiles

Re: Question on when the beginner's course will be released for MIE

Post by cquiles » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:55 am

Thank you for your comment, and sorry for the delay. I have to revise dozens of spam comments each 2 weeks or so to find one from an actual user...

I cannot speak for Fernando, he is the one responsible for the whole work, I only help him with revisions. From what I can see in the versions he has sent me, the first part of the work (some 30 lessons from 100) has been almost ready for quite some time, but there are always details to care about in the reconstruction, and he is particularly exhaustive when contemplating all possibilities for each lexical and grammatical alternative, even if the end result is eventually simplified for the reader.

I know that for some people this "Modern" added to our works makes it look like it is invented instead of a true reconstruction, but for him it is just like writing an official textbook for a university course, so he hasn't ever rushed this or any other publication, and I don't think he will do it now...

I understand that it has been years already since I begun to announce that it would be released 'soon', so I won't have much credibility this time. But, really, it will be published soon, and I believe people will not be disappointed with the end result. Lessons are short, fun, straight to the point, and with slowly increasing difficulty up to some translated ancient texts.

I, for my part, will try to publish at the same time a book on the history of Indo-European languages and peoples to accompany his course. I have been working on this for quite some time already, more than a year. The problem with our kind of work, as you say, is how discontinuous it seems from the outside, because only the final output is seen.
Carlos Quiles - Academia Prisca

Ahsto

Post by Ahsto » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Well I think the work that you guys do is incredible.

In the meantime, I've been teaching myself from the grammar pdf as well as the lexicon and verb conjugator. Some forms have been a bit confusing (like which type of declension a u or i stem might take for the genitive; the dictionary doesn't specify one or the other).

I'm glad that you guys are treating this as a real reconstruction and not just some simplified version of the original. As someone who would like to go into linguistics research after college, I'd be very interested in one day hearing about how you do the work that you do. It's very fascinating!

cquiles

Post by cquiles » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:08 pm

The first part (30 lessons) of the self-learning method is now online:

https://academiaprisca.org/en/resources ... guidebook/

Thank you for your patience!
Carlos Quiles - Academia Prisca

Ahsto

Post by Ahsto » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:45 am

This course is wonderful! Thank you so much! :3