Linguistic Reconstruction of Inflectional Categories: The Three Original Functions of Indo-European -i-Presents

The appropriate place to share useful online or printed resources about every aspect of Indo-European studies and proto-language reconstructions, including your own works and websites regarding (Proto-)Indo-European language, dialects, society, culture, etc..
cquiles

Linguistic Reconstruction of Inflectional Categories: The Three Original Functions of Indo-European -i-Presents

Post by cquiles » Wed May 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Linguistic Reconstruction of Inflectional Categories: The Three Original Functions of Indo-European -i-Presents, Roland A. Pooth, FIU Indo-European Linguistics Report 1 (2018).

Abstract:
Indo-European -i-Presents have up to three different origins. They go back to verbs with a derivational suffix (“enlargement”) -i- and to denominatives. This brief report argues for the hypothesis that there is an additional original function: Indo- European -i-Presents also go back to Proto-Indo-European forms inflected for progressive aspect.
Read more...
Carlos Quiles - Academia Prisca