The Genitive Plural in Luwian Hieroglyphic and its Comparanda from the Related Luwian Languages

The appropriate place to share useful online or printed resources about every aspect of Indo-European studies and proto-language reconstructions, including your own works and websites regarding (Proto-)Indo-European language, dialects, society, culture, etc..
cquiles

The Genitive Plural in Luwian Hieroglyphic and its Comparanda from the Related Luwian Languages

Post by cquiles » Wed May 09, 2018 2:37 pm

The Genitive Plural in Luwian Hieroglyphic and its Comparanda from the Related Luwian Languages (2016), by Fred Woudhuizen, In: Havva İşkan’a Armağan LYKIARKHISSA Festschrift für Havva İşkan.

Introduction:
As there is a tendency in Luwian hieroglyphic to express the genitive plural by the genitive singular1, the evidence for the genitive plural is relatively scarce. In the total of 1419 phrases which I studied so far, I came across 9 instances of evidence for the genitive plural. One instance can be found already in a Late Bronze Age text, the one from the Südburg in Boğazköy, whereas the other 8 can be found in texts from the Early Iron Age. With the exception of the Karkamisian text, which is monumental, all these latter instances are from texts on lead strips, Assur letter e and Kululu lead strips 1 and 2. I present the phrases concerned in the list which follows below. To facilitate the reader, the instances of the genitive plural are rendered in bold type, also in their translation (so also in section 2).
Read more...
Carlos Quiles - Academia Prisca