Italo-Celtica: Linguistic and Cultural Points of Contact between Italic and Celtic

The appropriate place to share useful online or printed resources about every aspect of Indo-European studies and proto-language reconstructions, including your own works and websites regarding (Proto-)Indo-European language, dialects, society, culture, etc..
cquiles

Italo-Celtica: Linguistic and Cultural Points of Contact between Italic and Celtic

Post by cquiles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Italo-Celtica: Linguistic and Cultural Points of Contact between Italic and Celtic, by Michael Weiss, in Stephanie W. Jamison, H. Craig Melchert, and Brent VIne (eds.) Proceedings of the 23rd Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference, 151-73

Excerpt:
Introduction

Some months ago I read the following statement from Graham Isaac (2007:75):

Although one would have thought that that hypothesis [i.e., ltalo-Celtic~MW] had been laid to rest by the seminal work of past decades, it is clearly kept as a live issue in certain quarters.

As a resident of one of those infested quarters where long-dead theories walk like zombies seeking out new brains to infect, I was a bit surprised. For it had long been my opinion that the nuanced, but also macabre, view of Italo-Celtic expressed by Warren Cowgill (1970:114) was very near to the truth:

It might be said that in reopening the grave just closed by Watkins I have found neither an empty coffin nor a living adult prematurely buried, but a stillborn infant.
Read more...
Carlos Quiles - Academia Prisca